NCoS refutes misconduct in inmate admission at Oyo facility
The Nigerian Correctional Service has refuted allegations made in a viral social media video in which a clergyman reportedly accused the Service of misconduct in the admission of an Awaiting Trial Person at the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Agodi in Ibadan, Oyo State.
In a statement issued on Saturday by its Public Relations Unit at the National Headquarters, Abuja, the Service said its attention had been drawn to the video containing “certain allegations regarding the operations of the Service, particularly in relation to the admission of an Awaiting Trial Person” at the Ibadan facility.
The Service stated unequivocally that “the claims and insinuations contained in the video do not accurately represent the true position, procedures, or operational realities of the Service,” adding that the assertions “appear to be a misrepresentation that could mislead the public and undermine confidence in a critical national institution.”
Clarifying its statutory responsibilities, the Correctional Service explained that it operates strictly in accordance with the law and established custodial procedures.
It stressed that when a court of competent jurisdiction orders that a defendant be remanded, “the responsibility for conveying such an individual from the court to the custodial facility rests squarely with the prosecuting or arresting agency, usually the Police or other relevant law enforcement body that initiated the prosecution.”
It emphasised that the Service “does not undertake the initial conveyance of freshly remanded persons from the court to the custodial centre,” noting that “any suggestion that officers of the Service declined to transport an inmate due to a lack of vehicles is inconsistent with our statutory role and operational mandate.”
On the issue of admission procedures, the Service said that “upon presentation at any custodial centre, every inmate brought with a valid remand warrant is admitted in line with established procedures.”
I
However, it noted that in cases where an inmate is presented “in a state of severe injury or serious ill health,” the presenting agency may be advised to seek immediate medical attention before admission.
According to the statement, “this is a standard procedure guided by the duty of care and the need to protect the life, health, and safety of persons in custody,” stressing that such measures “are purely humanitarian and lawful, and should not be misconstrued as a refusal to admit an inmate.”
The Service also denied allegations of financial demands, stating that it “does not demand or require any individual, family member, or prosecuting agency to provide money as a condition for admitting an inmate,” and that “any allegation suggesting otherwise does not reflect the policy, practice, or ethical standards of the Service.”
Reassuring the public, the Correctional Service said it “remains committed to the safe, lawful, and humane custody of all persons legally remanded by competent courts,” adding that its personnel are guided by “professionalism, integrity, and strict adherence to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Nigerian Correctional Service Act, and relevant regulations.”
It further warned that “any officer found to have violated these standards will be dealt with decisively according to our standing orders,” while urging members of the public to “disregard misleading narratives and to seek clarification from official channels whenever in doubt.”
The Service reaffirmed that it remains steadfast in discharging its mandate and would continue to contribute to public safety, justice administration and the rehabilitation of offenders in line with global best practices.g
Culled from punch
admin 


