Oyo intensifies preparation for 2026 World Egungun Festival, Olubadan pledges support
The Oyo State Government has stepped up preparations for the 2026 World Egungun Festival, holding strategic engagements with traditional stakeholders and securing the backing of the Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja.
Through the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, the government held a meeting with leaders of the Ijo Oje Parapo Welfare Association on Tuesday across various local government areas at the town hall in the palace of the Akibio of Ilora.
The Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Dr Wasiu Olatubosun, said the renewed prominence of the Egungun Festival had begun attracting international attention, including interest from Brazil, as part of efforts to reconnect the diaspora with the authentic custodians of the tradition in Oyo State.
He urged members of the association to sustain their support, expressing optimism that the festival could attain global recognition, including possible listing by UNESCO, if properly structured and consistently promoted.
We want to promote the entertainment and tourism potential of the festival to the world, but it is important that we take ownership of it and preserve its authenticity,” he added.
The Acting General Manager of the Oyo State Council for Arts and Culture, Mr S.A. Agboola, described the festival as a unifying cultural event since its relaunch in 2024, noting that it holds deep spiritual and cultural significance in Yoruba tradition.
He added that lessons from previous editions had helped the ministry address concerns relating to coordination, security and public perception.
Members of the association emphasised the need for discipline, cleanliness and proper presentation of masquerades, while also requesting representation on the festival planning committee — a request that was approved.
As part of broader consultations, the commissioner also led a delegation on a courtesy visit to the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Ladoja, at his residence to formally invite him to serve as Royal Father and Chairman of the 2026 festival.
During the visit, Olatubosun assured the monarch that improvements had been made to address concerns raised during the 2025 edition, particularly regarding logistics and visibility for special guests.
He disclosed that over 200 masquerades are expected to participate in the 2026 edition, with about 10 countries and more than 100 groups and associations indicating interest.
The commissioner also revealed that the Minister of Arts, Culture and the Creative Economy, Hannatu Musa Musawa, had pledged to attend the event.
“We want Ibadan to become a major tourist destination and a cultural hub that the world will continually reckon with,” the commissioner stated.
Responding, Oba Ladoja accepted the invitation and assured the state government of his support for the programme.
The state government said it aims to position Ibadan as a leading cultural and tourism destination through the global promotion of the festival.
Culled from punch
admin 


