Stop spreading false security information, Oyo warns residents

Stop spreading false security information, Oyo warns residents

The Oyo State Government has issued a stern warning against the spread of unverified security information.

The government stated that misinformation risks causing public panic, misleading ongoing security operations and eroding community confidence at a time when security agencies are intensifying efforts to rescue victims of a recent terrorist attack in Ogbomoso.

The warning was conveyed in a statement on Wednesday by the Special Adviser on Security, Abayomi Fagbenro, who stressed the need for residents to verify any security-related information before circulating it.

Fagbenro also cautioned the public against the equally dangerous habit of ignoring or failing to report actual threats, warning that such false negatives could slow down timely response from security agencies.

The Office of the Special Adviser on Security wishes to draw the attention of the public to the need for responsible reporting of security-related concerns in line with the principle that citizens should see something and say something.

“Members of the public are urged to ensure that any information they communicate is accurate and verified, to avoid misinformation that may affect ongoing security operations and the confidence of the people.

“The public is also informed about the danger of false negatives, where actual threats or suspicious activities are ignored or not reported, which can slow down timely response from security agencies

Citizens are therefore advised to remain alert, observe carefully, and report only what they know or have reasonably confirmed to the appropriate authorities so as to prevent avoidable security incidents. Security is a collective responsibility, and every credible information provided to the relevant authorities helps to strengthen safety and peace in our communities,” Fagbenro said.

The warning comes on the heels of a false rumour that circulated on Tuesday, claiming that bandits had again attacked the Ladoke Akinola University of Technology, Ogbomoso and that the institution had been shut down.

The tension in the area stems from a terrorist attack last Friday, in which gunmen stormed three schools on the outskirts of Ogbomoso, killing two teachers.

One of the teachers was shot during the attack and later confirmed dead, while another, who was among those abducted, was allegedly beheaded by the kidnappers.

Seven students, 18 children and six teachers are yet to regain their freedom, with security operatives said to be intensifying efforts to rescue the abducted victims.