Family laments UNIUYO student’s whereabouts since December
The father of the abducted student of the University of Uyo, Pastor Aniefiok Asian, has raised the alarm over the whereabouts of his son, Utibe Asian, who was abducted sometime in December last year.
Asian, a 300-level student of the Department of Theatre Arts, was said to have gone missing after a strange number called him to an unknown destination.
However, despite the payment of the sum of N500,000 as ransom, the abducted student is still held in captivity, raising fears for his whereabouts.
Narrating the incident, the father disclosed that it happened on December 3rd, adding that on that fateful day, the above cell phone number called Utibe, and he went out to see the person at an undisclosed location and has not returned home to date.
He stated that the abductors called him on 3rd December and demanded N30m ransom and later reduced it to N500,000, which was hurriedly paid to a bank account on 13th December, 2025, for the son to regain his freedom, but he was not released as expected.
Asian said after the payment, the kidnappers did not call him or other family members, and nothing was heard from the son.
The father explained further that, before the ransom was paid, the crime was reported to the Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Akwa Ibom Police Command on the 5th December, 2025, and that his statement was duly obtained by one Mrs Jumbo and an Investigative Police Officer assigned to follow up on the kidnapping case.
He said, “On Wednesday, 3rd December, 2025, Mr Utibe Aniefiok Asian was abducted by unknown persons within Uyo metropolis. Since the incident, we have received calls from an unidentified person believed to be the abductor.
“The first day, he demanded N30m as ransom and gradually reduced it to N500,000.00, which was paid to him through a transfer to the bank account on 13th December, 2025.
“I was directed to prepare and go to Abak and pick my child up. Since that day of payment, the abductor did not call again, nor was my son’s voice heard.”
Asian said he had reported the incident to the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Internal Security, Major General Uko Essien (retd), but nothing has been done about it.
He also disclosed that he has written the same petition to the Commissioner of Police in Akwa Ibom, Baba Mohammad Azare, titled “Report of Suspected Kidnapping in Uyo”.
He said the same incident was reported to the Department of State Security in the state, but to no avail, as the security agencies could not track the kidnappers, even with some clues submitted to them.
He therefore urged the Inspector General of Police to intervene by using all security apparatus within his reach to rescue his son and trace the abductors.
I still believe that the security agencies can do their work, and I want the IGP to form a rescue team to bring back my son. At least, I should know the perpetrators, and they should be brought to book.”
When contacted, the Akwa Ibom State Police Commissioner, Baba Azare, said the command has not yet been informed of the kidnapping case.
“I have advised the father of the victim to report through our official channels. Once that is done, we will follow up immediately
admin 


