Motorists groan over slow repairs of Sagamu–Ijebu Ode federal road

Motorists groan over slow repairs of Sagamu–Ijebu Ode federal road

Motorists and pedestrians have lamented the gridlock along the Sagamu–Ijebu Ode Expressway, blaming it on the slow pace of reconstruction work on the road.

The Federal Government, through the Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, had in February flagged off the reconstruction of the 60km stretch from Sagamu Interchange to Itele on the outskirts of Ijebu Ode, following years of public outcry over its dilapidated state.

Contractors reportedly moved to the site in April, beginning work from the Sagamu Express Junction.

But travellers said  on Sunday that the progress had been painfully slow, forcing motorists into long hours of traffic and encouraging wrong-way driving to avoid bad portions of the road.

A journalist, Joshua Oduneye, while welcoming the intervention, said the pace was discouraging.

 “We are happy President Bola Tinubu listened and ordered the reconstruction, but since April or May, the kilometres covered are not encouraging. The road is terrible, and that has led to accidents and vehicle damage,” he said.

A Lagos–Ore driver, Olayinka Israel, shared the concern.

“Yes, it is concrete work, which takes casting and reinforcement, but the government should hasten the process. We are suffering here,” he said.

Another road user, Adedayo Adewale, who works at a private university along the corridor, said he had looked forward to smooth travel when work began.

“But four months after, the progress has been too slow,” he lamented.

From the Interchange, only one lane of the dual carriageway has been partly paved, though work was ongoing during Sunday visit.

Treasurer of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in Sagamu, Segun Stainless, said the slow pace had worsened traffic.

“Once it’s Monday evening, it can take three hours from Sagamu to the Interchange. The work is okay, but it’s slow,” he said.

Another driver, Gbenga Johnson, noted that the traffic was affecting earnings.

We burn more fuel in traffic, but passengers refuse to pay more. Sometimes, we spend three hours on this stretch alone,” he said.

Motorist Seun Ibisesan added that hoodlums were exploiting the situation by extorting drivers, especially truck operators.

But some urged patience. The Secretary of NURTW in the area, Prince Adesina Tijani, said, “The contractors work Monday to Sunday. We should be patient. We’ll still enjoy the road when it’s done.”

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olukorede Kesha, attributed the slow progress to the rainy season.

“You can’t do concrete or asphalt in the rain. If the foundation isn’t solid, it will fail within a short time,” she explained. Kesha said the contractor had completed almost 4km of the 12km Interchange–Sagamu stretch since mobilisation began, noting that the project has a two-year timeline.

The Ogun State Government also defended the pace of work.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Media, Kayode Akinmade, said what was being done was a permanent fix.

“In the past, palliatives were washed away after the first rain. Now the government wants a lasting solution. This corridor leads to the Gateway International Airport and an industrial layout. It is strategic to the economy of Ogun and Nigeria,” he said.

Similarly, the Federal Controller of Works for Ogun State, M. O. Komolafe, said the project was divided into two sections: Interchange to Iperu-Remo Junction (12km), handled under Lagos; and Iperu-Remo to Ajebamdele, under Ogun.

Both are being executed by the same contractor and are expected to be completed by August 2028.

“The work will not be abandoned. The minister has assured that funds are available. The entire stretch will be reinforced concrete,” Komolafe added