LG workers fired for supporting me – Desmond Elliot
The lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency at the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot, has raised concerns over alleged intimidation and coercion ahead of the All Progressives Congress direct primaries in Surulere.
Speaking in a video posted in his X handle on Sunday, Elliot called on party leaders to ensure a free and fair exercise and accused some party members of attempting to influence voters through threats and intimidation.
While commending President Bola Tinubu and the APC leadership for approving direct primaries nationwide, Elliot said the process was designed to test the popularity of aspirants.
“I want to appreciate the President of this great country and the party leadership for allowing direct primaries to be held across the country. We say thank you so much because this is meant to test the popularity of all the aspirants across the board,” he said
The lawmaker, however, alleged that some individuals in Surulere were intimidating party members and attempting to force support for certain candidates.
“I want to bring to your notice that intimidation, coercion, arm-twisting and forcing people to follow their own candidate is what exists today in Surulere,” he said.
According to him, some party loyalists were allegedly threatened with exclusion from future empowerment programmes if they failed to support a preferred aspirant.
Please, this is not done and should not be done. We are all members of the same party,” Elliot added.
He further claimed that some local government workers were dismissed because of their support for him.
“We’ve been intimidated so much that a lot of people from the local government have been fired because they follow me. That should not be allowed,” he said.
Elliot also alleged that local government authorities had openly backed another aspirant months before the primaries.
“It is bad enough that the local government already took a side months ago to support a particular aspirant. I didn’t say anything,” he stated.
The APC chieftain claimed that his security personnel had been withdrawn shortly before the primaries.
“My security personnel were taken away from me yesterday for reasons best known to them. Now I am left alone to myself. What have I done?” he queried.
He warned against any attempt to cause violence during the exercise and appealed for peaceful conduct among party supporters.
“They want to bring people from outside and from within to cause mayhem and to cause trouble. Please allow for a free, fair election on the 20th of May, 2026,” he said.
Elliot urged party leaders to investigate the allegations and appealed to his supporters not to be intimidated.
“To all you lovers of Desmond Olusola Elliott, who believe in accessibility and fair play, do not be intimidated. Come out on that day because there will be maximum security guaranteed from the party,” he said.
The lawmaker also mobilised support for other APC candidates ahead of the elections, urging supporters to vote for Wasiu Eshinoku on May 18, Governor Kadri Obafemi Hamzat on May 21, and President Tinubu on May 23.
“Stop the intimidation in Surulere. We want peace in Surulere. God bless you,” Elliot said.
admin 


